9 Ways to Prevent Dark Circles
Tips for preventing dark circles under eyes
- Get enough sleep. Ideally you should be getting 7-8 hours of sleep a day. I know some people need less, but if you notice these dark circles. Try going to bed earlier.
- Make some Lifestyle Changes.
- Try to ease your stress by defining what is causing you to feel stressed and see how you can eliminate it.
- Include exercise in your daily routine. Studies have shows that as little as 30 mins a day can reduce levels of stress.
- Sleep more during the night and less during the day. If lack of sleep is the reason for your dark circles you will see improvements within a week or two if you start going to bed earlier.
- Drink more water. 1.5 to 2 liters a day, more during the summer or if you exercise a lot.
3. Increase your intake of iron rich food and vitamin C. Vitamin C aids your body in absorbing the iron. Here are some suggestions of iron rich foods:
- Dried beans, dried fruits,
- eggs (especially egg yolks), poultry
- iron-fortified cereals, whole grains rich in iron
- liver, lean red meat
- oysters, salmon, tuna
- Citrus fruits, tomatoes, peppers, melon, and spinach for vitamin C.
4. Treat Allergies and Eliminate Allergens Think of the products you use for and around your eyes. You might be allergic to them. Check expiry dates. Check your cosmetic brushes, make sure they are clean. Dispose of eye cosmetic products after 6 months. Consult with your doctor to treat your allergies if they don't go away.
5. Stop rubbing your eyes. This will become easier when you treat your allergies.
6. Be Gentle. When removing eye make up be gentle and don’t pull on the delicate skin around your eyes.
7. Moisturize Let's face it, it's easy to neglect the skin under the eye. If your skin is dehydrated and dry it can appear dull.
8. Protect Your Eyes from the Sun. Use sunblock under your eyes or wear large sunglasses to cover the area.
9. Use an Under Eye Cream When choosing a cream or serum to reduce dark circles around the eyes, look for vitamins C, E, K or retinol in the ingredients.